homestead - Re: [Homestead] Needing stuff like Glasses

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Needing stuff like Glasses
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 13:26:10 -0500

The thought occurs to me how odd this discussion about glasses might sound..
One minute, I am talking about how I am trying to be self sufficient on
the farm, and the next, I am looking around for cheap glasses. It is
just that I am not sure that there is any homestead alternative for good
vision. It is worse than healthcare. Glasses are very individualistic,
not very generic.
I think one of the reasons I detest driving down to the metro area is
because I left that horrible place because of too many people and too
much traffic, and I cringe at the thought of 'needing' anything from it.
I will do whatever I can to avoid driving back down there, and in fact
it has only happened once in 10 years (that I can recall)when we needed
a part from a service center there.
So Leslie, I guess what I am saying is that I ain't the perfect
homesteader..lol..I still need things from the city...I still have to
travel down there or pay shipping. I do understand what you are saying
about hyperinflation, but these instances of 'need' are minimized for
me, a lot more than say, my best friend, who runs her big diesel up and
down I-75 heading back to the mall area where the Costco is. Her DH
actually works down there, so she is down in Atlanta several times a
week. But it grates on me if I find myself in a situation that I need to
go..I used to meet two rabbit customers down there, but I would schedule
them at the same time and make one trip down there, plus, they paid for
my gas...it was meeting them halfway as they lived on the other side of
Atlanta.

EarthNSky wrote:
I just went to the Costco site and found that there are a couple of stores down in HotLanta-closest is 74 miles. They've obviously
opened since I moved away. Thanks for the offer, but I could make
the trip there to pick them up if they offer what I need. I know
there is a LensCrafters, Pearl, and other chains down there as well.
I just hate making two trips down there, you know? It's not like I
can be like 99% of the rest of the world and get glasses in an hour.
Mine take a week or so. Frustrating.

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge