homestead - Re: [Homestead] Glasses from India

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Glasses from India
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:46:20 -0500

All I can say is Thank God for High Refractive Index Plastic.
It is more than just cosmetic. With glass, there was always a safety
issue, and with either glass or plastic, the weight of the lens
determined(s) what kind of frame it goes it.

I've worn glasses since I was 3 years old...I'm very nearsighted and legal blind in one eye. When my lenses were glass, they used to be real Coke bottle bottoms...I had to wear the big clunky frames, and the weight would leave red indents in my nose. With the High Refractive Index plastic I can wear wire-rims. I always had the huge frames that made me look like an owl; now I have smaller frames and I like them. I don't have as big a field of vision with the smaller frames, but being able to look over them to read the fine print is becoming more useful all the time :-).

I can't wear bifocals; I tried once and they throw off my balance...I could barely walk straight. My eye-brain coordination sucks already, without having two different focal points (probably because I'm blind in one eye and have no depth perception).

Lynn Wigglesworth