homestead - Re: [Homestead] Needing stuff like Glasses

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Needing stuff like Glasses
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:09:57 -0800 (PST)

I hate going to the big city too.  The last time I went was in October....
and with the exception that I had to drive to El Paso to fly to Miami on a
legal matter,,,, I've only driven ~120 miles since October.  Although I
cheated as my dad drove to look at the free windows and I've got to go fetch
them this week.... but will also make 3-4 planned stops in the 2 stop light
town on that trip.

I was wondering why you have to get new glasses every year.  I only replace
them when they are broken, or when the Rx changes so much that I can no
longer read road signs safely or read. Decades ago, I worked the OR for
years, and with on particular opthamologist extensively... one thing he told
me is that people don't "have" to wear glasses. I asked him what he meant,
and he said it is not medically necessary to have 20/20 refraction, or any
refraction for that matter.  He said that you only need corrective lenses for
those times you want to actually see better.  As blind as I am I can walk
around perfectly well without wearing my glasses, although I prefer to wear
them, and I certainly couldn't attempt to hunt a deer or drive without them
(although I could drive the scooter safely without them, I think...)  LOL.  I
had pretty much the same Rx for 20 years, until I hit 45 and age started
making me need longer arms....  Only 2 Rx changes as I
went thru that period, and my eyes stabilized again, at least for now.

And of course I know you would figure out that what happens to a commercial
farmer in a hyperinflation won't happen directly to a homesteader.  They will
happen to the commercial farmers that provide all that grocery store food for
the city folks though....... Will food shortages follow?  Will our wonderful
government attempt to nationalize any of the food grown by small farmers and
homesteaders?

(James - has this happened in any other country in history during food
shortages, where governments seized a/k/a nationalized food from the "little
folks"?  Didn't that happen in Cuba - where all the little farmers were only
allowed to keep X amount they produced and the rest had to go to the "public
good" or whatever you want to call it.)

I figure there will be effects, and it isn't going to be possible to know
what they all will be.  T
The obvious one will be fuel costs (electric, oil, LP, gas, diesel,
lubricants, etc.)  Then medical costs, including glasses, dental, etc.
Commercially purchased feed anyone?

I've been working on designing my chicken coop this a/m, to include that
intensive design using worms, and maggots and sprouts.... to reduce
dependency on commercial feed - and in time, grow my own corn and other crops
for them for scratch to eliminate commercial feed.  I'm going to give it to
my dad today (an engineer) and let him calc out with the design how much
supplies to buy,,,, will give him something to do, even though I don't need
the info.... LOL.

So when I mention hyperinflation --- just recognize I'm looking at everything
around me, and asking - what if I couldn't buy this  --- what other way can I
do this that wouldn't require ever increasing amounts of money?

What if I can't afford chicken feed - how can I feed them?
What if I can't afford LP to heat my home - how can I stay warm?
Stuff like that......

And that I don't know how bad it is going to get ----- I just know that most
people are really really spoiled and I suspect will resort to "legalized
seizing methods" if TSHTF.