homestead - Re: [Homestead] canning lids

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] canning lids
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:55:33 -0800

SSSShhhhhhh. Don't tell, o.k. I reuse my lids. Not suppose to but I haven't had any failures. Now, what I do is that I use them first for pressure canned and then for steam canning (kinda like a boiling water bath but much easier, here's a link about them http://www.canningpantry.com/steam-canner.html). I use them sometimes 3, 4 or even 5 times. I check the rubber gasket thingy real well and if after washing it pops back and doesn't look like it has a permanent indent in it, I figure they are good to go. The last few times I use them I use them on salsa and then on jelly.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Leslie" <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>

Does anyone here re-use them? (The lid part)

I know the instructions say to not reuse them, but my grandmother did all the time.

Anyone know of success/failure rates?