homestead - Re: [Homestead] Carrots

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Carrots
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:05:08 -0800

I don't have the patience to be a good carrot grower <g> And don't like to have to "work" to get veggies. That is why I quite having a dedicated area for carrots. They go in with just about anything I'm planting and I seem to have a better germination rate when I intersperce them with other plants.

I've found they don't like things like parsnips and celery. They really love peas and do quite well in my salad bed (green onions, lettuce, radishes).

If you are going with just two, I'd use Red Core Chantenay and Danvers. We do love the Little Fingers for salads. And the Half-Longs seem a little more tempermental <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>

Thanks Lynda and Bev for sharing what you do or have done and what varieties
you've tried. Do either of you have a favorite or one that seems to do
better or more consistently? So Lynda, you don't have a dedicated carrot bed
at all--they just go wherever, and Bev, you have one dedicated bed but
noticed they also grow well with beans. This is all interesting to me. I
don't want to buy 4 varieties, wanted to narrow it down to just two.

Oh as I write I see that James is getting involved. ;)

Thank you.

Lisa