homestead - Re: [Homestead] Carrots

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Carrots
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:42:42 -0500

I was hoping more folks would respond because I am looking for a good
variety, too.
Lisa I've grown the Nantes(2 types I think), and this year I am trying
Red Cored Chantanay. I think I need to plant carrots a little earlier
than I have as my carrots have been on the small side. They just don't
do well baked in the ground, so I have to pull them. Like Lynda's beds,
all of mine are very composty and layered. Now, it is rare to see a
misshapen carrot, but the first year here, when I grew them in the
ground, I had the funniest looking carrots you ever saw. I tried to
clear the area of rocks, but even the smallest stone caused a
mar/deformation in the the carrot.
I do try to put my carrots in a line, even in the raised beds. I will
run multiple short lines, 2 or 3 feet long, parallel to each other. The
other thing I do that I haven't seen mentioned is that I mix my radish
seeds with carrot seeds and plant them together. The radishes germinate
first and it marks the row. They grow quickly and are pulled long
before the carrots are ready. Oh, when I planted them in the ground one
year, some seeds washed over into the adjacent row of greenbeans. Beans
are apparently a good companion because the carrots in that row did much
better than the carrots in the dedicated row. That's all I can tell ya.

Bev