homestead - Re: [Homestead] Carrots

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Carrots
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:24:34 -0800

Arg, they don't grow "worth" prunes <g> See, that's what happens when DH is hollering in one ear and youngest is hollering in the other and I'm trying to type at the same time.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>

Well, I'm sure they are VERY particular and fussy and don't grow with
prunes, at least for me unless I let the kids grow them or I simply plant a
bucket load of seeds and just ignore them. Also, don't give up. Mine
germinate when they darn well please. I'll plant them and wait and wait and
wait, some years, and then when I give up, sometimes a month or two after
they are supposed to have germinated and suddenly I see the little lacy fern
like bits of green showing up. That's when I gave up doing them in their
own bed and started just planting them any ol' where.

We plant Red Core Chantenay, Little Fingers, Half-longs, and Danvers. This
year we're going to try the Tonda di Parigi. I've never had much luck
growing the really long carrots.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>

Thanks, Lynda. I've read that carrots are 'particular' so have been leery
but would really like to give it a solid try this year. Sounds like you
don't have a specific bed for carrots then but just put them wherever. I
had
not thought of your method. What variety do you grow? I had hoped a couple
of people would pick up on this thread.

Lisa

8:18 PM