homestead - Re: [Homestead] Carrots

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Carrots
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:20:02 -0500

Lynda wrote:
Well, I'm sure they are VERY particular and fussy and don't grow with prunes, at least for me unless I let the kids grow them or I simply plant a bucket load of seeds and just ignore them. Also, don't give up. Mine germinate when they darn well please. I'll plant them and wait and wait and wait, some years, and then when I give up, sometimes a month or two after they are supposed to have germinated and suddenly I see the little lacy fern like bits of green showing up. That's when I gave up doing them in their own bed and started just planting them any ol' where.

We plant Red Core Chantenay, Little Fingers, Half-longs, and Danvers. This year we're going to try the Tonda di Parigi. I've never had much luck growing the really long carrots.

I've done the Danvers Half Long, too....forgot about that.
Do you like the RCC? Maybe you were the one who recommended it to me?

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race"

~ Calvin Coolidge