homestead - [Homestead] Carrots

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Carrots
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:07:28 -0500

We want to grow carrots this year. I understand that the soil needs to be
loose and tilled or dug deeply in preparation. I've read that it's good to
add compost, but not too much. Can or do you use the same raised bed area
(with special soil) repeatedly or do you move them around?

What variety do you plant and why? Is there is a particular variety that
stands out as a good first choice, one that usually grows well? Or is it
just personal choice based on tapered or blunt ends, length, color, etc.

Your best carrot growing tips would be most appreciated and very helpful to
me.

I'm working on my seed order and stymied by carrots.

I began by searching the archives until I realized that would take a long
time to get through it all. If there's a way to search all of the archives
at once, someone please share.

Thanks.

lkvp