homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Horse

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Horse
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 21:11:37 -0800 (PST)

I had an old pregnant broodmare who foundered.  She was 20 when it happened.

The vet was useless.  But I had a great blacksmith - took a while but a few
years later you couldn't tell.  It did require corrrective shoeing and
matching things up with x-rays.

I'd pass on a foundered horse, unless I knew a blacksmith with the kind of
history/experience like my old one.

3 or 4 times a year?!?!  For a shod horse - ain't enough.  Shod horse -
blacksmith needed every 5-7 weeks (depending on the horse and season), big
expense.

Better off with a horse that has good feet that doesn't need shoes.