homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Horse

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Horse
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 21:18:10 EST

> >...I had the same
> thought as Rob about breeding her, but I'm told that would kill her as
> her hooves wouldn't hold up. do you agree with that assessment?

I had overlooked Rob's second question, appologies!

15 years is getting toward the upper limits of foal bearing years. Horses
can and do go beyond that. But the most important question is - has she had
foals before and was it on a regular basis? If she has not foaled by 15 she
will not know how to be a mother. She will be less likely to concieve, and
if
she does, she many not lactate at all. You can get around much of that with
drugs, but do you want to go that (expensive) route?

So, if she's an experineced brood mare, very good odds.
If she is not, not good odds.

Bev, if the horse has foundered, it has serious metabolic issues. You don't
breed anything with metabolic issues, even people, unless you are willing to
put up with mucho trouble. I wouldn't attempt it.

James