homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Horse

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Horse
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 12:50:23 +0000

I just gave away a paint brood mare on freecycle for my neighbor. He breeds
mules. He does not leave his male donkey running with the mares because he
wants to know the due dates of foals, but also he has to keep him separate
from the group because the donkey will kill any of the male offspring.
including geldings. so that might be something to consider if you will only
have one fenced in area. his mare was about 10 and was 'used up' from
breeding, but would still make a good riding horse or companion. he bred each
horse back every year within weeks of foaling, from the time they were about
2. seems excessive to me, but i'm not in the mule business.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)