homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Horse

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Horse
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:07:57 -0800

Where in the world did he get the notion that the mare was "used up" from breeding at the age of 10? Or did she have problems foaling? Mares certainly aren't "used up" by the age of ten even if you've bred them every year since the age of two. Most strange.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>

I just gave away a paint brood mare on freecycle for my neighbor. He breeds mules. He does not leave his male donkey running with the mares because he wants to know the due dates of foals, but also he has to keep him separate from the group because the donkey will kill any of the male offspring. including geldings. so that might be something to consider if you will only have one fenced in area. his mare was about 10 and was 'used up' from breeding, but would still make a good riding horse or companion. he bred each horse back every year within weeks of foaling, from the time they were about 2. seems excessive to me, but i'm not in the mule business.