homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Horse

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: cayadopi AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Horse
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 01:29:24 -0500

Thanks..I knew I made the right decision on that one!

Leslie wrote:
I had an old pregnant broodmare who foundered. She was 20 when it happened.
The vet was useless. But I had a great blacksmith - took a while but a few years later you couldn't tell. It did require corrrective shoeing and matching things up with x-rays.
I'd pass on a foundered horse, unless I knew a blacksmith with the kind of history/experience like my old one.
3 or 4 times a year?!?! For a shod horse - ain't enough. Shod horse - blacksmith needed every 5-7 weeks (depending on the horse and season), big expense. Better off with a horse that has good feet that doesn't need shoes.