homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Horse

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Horse
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 21:13:42 -0800

Depends on the individual horse, Rob. Generally speaking, the answer would be no. However, when purchasing a horse, if you aren't all that familiar, get a GOOD farrier or experienced draft horse person to take a look.

If the 15 year old mare has never had a foal, save your money. If she has foaled within the last 3-5 years, you shouldn't have a problem but then again, it would depend on the horse. I've had mares foal as late as 32 years of age and a darn good mother she was too!

Now's the fun part. A lot of mares won't show that they are in season if there isn't a male horse of some type (even a gelding, a donkey, a pony) around to "tease" them. In fact, I don't generally like to have a mare around who shows seasons without a darned good reason. They are a bit of a PITA generally speaking.

As far as folks getting rid of horses, watch your local Freecycle and Craigslist. Folks are giving them away! The rescue outfits are full to the overflowing and some of them are giving them away. I've been offered several horses over the last few months. I eve had one person offered to haul one from over two hours away at no charge!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

Does a draft horse need to be shod if working on dirt, not pavement?
What about a gravel road?

I'm going to have a little extra pasture next year and am thinking
about adding a horse. I've been looking around and have seen a few
older mares at decent prices. People are wanting to get rid of
pleasure horses with the bad economy, so I'm thinking it might be the
time to buy here soon. Preferably now while they are having to feed
hay.

Would I be crazy to think that I could start out with a over 15 year
mare and bring her into heat and have her AI-ed (if I can't find a
stallion) and grow my own replacement? I would probably start out
having the horse help out with harvesting some firewood and maybe
pulling a cart.

I do have experience with horses, I can break for riding, etc. I can
do all the farrier work except shoeing.

Rob - Va