homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Horse

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Horse
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 21:47:27 -0800 (PST)

It's best for most horses if they are not shod.

But if a gravel road, I would definitely shoe.  It's amazing how that little
lift off the ground helps prevent most stone bruises.  Just always check for
stones getting wedged between the frog and the soul at the slightest hint of
a limp (shod or unshod) if working on gravel.  Some stone bruises can turn
into nasty absesses.

Also some horses hooves (poor breeding?) don't hold up well unshod under
working conditions - so there isn't really one blanket answer.

I've had horses that never needed shoes, one that had to have shoes on the
front no matter what (even pasture only and no work), and had boarder's
horses whose feet were so poor they needed shoes year round, even though they
weren't working on rocks, etc.

My preference thought is unshod as much as possible.  Healthier for the hoof.

If stones/gravel isn't an issue, and the history of the horse is unshod -
unshod.

I remember one horse, an older horse, had been shod improperly it's whole
life, super contracted heels, nearly lame from that, and then a new owner
pulled the shoes, turned the horse out into wet pastures, and caused some
massive problem - too many years ago and I forget what happened.