homestead - Re: [Homestead] fireballs

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] fireballs
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 17:40:49 -0500

Yeah, I forgot to say that to which Keith alludes...the leaves that are ferny/feathery are called the weed...You can buy dill weed, dill seed, or dill heads...it is convenient to use dill weed in some recipes, like seasoning fish, and in others, the seed or heads..

keith bellinger wrote:
bobf wrote:
Keith, if you don't mind ( and I'm sure I will experience some ridicule) what is "7 heads
dill". Can I just go to the market and ask for "7 heads dill" in the produce
dept? I know it has to do with pickling, but I don't know exactly how to buy it. I have
everything else. Thanks ......bobf

Ahh, you should find a pack of dill seed or even buy a jar of them (spice aisle of your supermarket) and plant yourself some dill! You may find it in the produce section though, often found with fresh basil and other herbs in the springtime here. I referred to specifically the seed heads in my recipe. There are branches with only feathery leaf and they will do in a pinch but if that's all I have I add seed from the spice drawer.