homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tomato question

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tomato question
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:42:10 -0800

NO! Do NOT leave on the vine. Remove the tomatoes. The pH increases (acidity decreases) dramatically once the vine of a tomato is killed. Yes, they will ripen nicely or if you have a whole bunch, you can make some yummy salsa verde AND can it <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bobf" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

Bev, if you are still online this am (or somewone else that has a minute); a few nights ago. it was cold enough to kill most of one of my two tomato patches. Most of most of the bushes are dead. But, they are filled with green tomatoes. Should I leave them on the dead bushes to ripen as long as possible. Will they ripen on the windowsill if I pick them green? I could make fried green tomatoes out of the bigger one , but I have bushes full of green cherry tomatoes, aslo. I' would prefer for them all to ripen, if there is a way