homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hatching Round 3

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hatching Round 3
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 13:32:14 -0800

Mountain lions scream like humans. And, you can easily hear them from over a mile away. Once you've heard one you don't forget the sound.

We figure the one we heard last year was looking for her babies. The sound was frantic and sounded like someone was killing a woman. The screams came rather fast, one after another but in different places. We could "follow" the cat by listening to the noise. The dogs were real unhappy campers because the youngest and I went out on the deck to listen.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>

They say that here, too, but many people have seen/heard them. The sound,
from what I understand, is so identifiable that it can't be anything else.

A few years ago, we awoke to the oddest animal sound I've ever heard. I
sounded like a woman screaming, but not quite human. I think it was a North
American Marten, or Fisher Cat as they are called here.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA