homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hatching Round 3

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hatching Round 3
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 15:47:15 -0500

There is an owl that sounds like a woman screaming, too. I have heard
it myself on occasion. There is also a fox cry that sounds freaky like
that.
I firmly believe that the Appalachians are sufficiently remote enough to
support a carnivorous species like a panther. It did once. If even a
small population survived in an enclave somewhere, with the reduction in
hunting and the urbanization of modern American life, I think it is
highly possible that there are indeed species like mountain lions making
a comeback, and that they are glimpsed every so often.

BTW, mountain lions, cougars, panthers, catamounts, puma...all the same
animal, at least not distinct enough genetically to be considered
separate species. There are sub species, however, of which the Florida
panther and California Mountain Lion are noted. (see list below)
Collectively they are called North American Cougars... Puma concolor couguar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_cougar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar

From that second link, the list of subspecies and synonymous species:
includes the previous subspecies and synonyms arundivaga, aztecus, browni, californica, coryi, floridana, hippolestes, improcera, kaibabensis, mayensis, missoulensis, olympus, oregonensis, schorgeri,
stanleyana, vancouverensis and youngi;

On the Florida Panther Wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Panther

It says that despite genetic studies that show that the Florida panther
is puma concolor couguar, it is still listed as puma concolor coryi.
There is obviously some room for study here. For all practical
purposes, it is the same animal. In these parts, they are usually
called panthers, and only sometimes cougars and mountain lions. Most
folks in these parts will tell you that a puma is a shoe<vbg> and that
catamount is a place<g>. Those terms just aren't used for that animal
around here.

Cathy wrote:
Lynn, we heard the in-human woman sceaming at night regularly over a 3 or 4 month period while up your way. Freaky sounding, and kept me cautious while out at night. Strangest sound I've ever heard.

Have you ever been on the road between Liberty and English Center? There's a sign along that road memorializing the loss of the local doctor to a panther 100 years or so ago.

Cathy

--
"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."