homestead - [Homestead] Mountain lions Hatching Round 3

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Mountain lions Hatching Round 3
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 10:11:55 -0800

Mountain lions abound in CA. They aren't big on being seen, so you could
live in an area your whole life and never see one. Hear them once in a
blue, but never see them.

Each state that has them have their own laws. In California they are a
"specially protected species" which means that the Department of Fish and
Game can't declare a hunting season and that people can't "take, injure,
possess, transport, import or sell" them or "any part of."

However, they can be killed with a "depredation permit" if they are killing
livestock or attack a person. Most counties in CA (several other states
have them also) have hunters they pay to track them (or coyotes or bob cats
or bears or whatever wildlife might be a problem) and kill them.

We've seen "our" mountain lion a couple of times and heard a couple of them
one night. Our place is relatively clear (we removed all brush within 150'
of the house and both our neighbors have done their's), so we are
optimum/mountain lion friendly property. The gal that just had one killed
lives in a canyon (prime mountain lion area) and doesn't barn her sheep and
goats at night which is kinda marks her property as a coyote/mountain lion
buffet. She's not a terribly logical person. She has some guardian dogs
but keeps them close to the house. Go figure.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bobf" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>