homestead - Re: [Homestead] [Homestead ] MY microcosm of economic downturn

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [Homestead ] MY microcosm of economic downturn
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:46:39 -0800

Bingo. And, even though *some* people got their bloomers in a bunch about it, the thread on another list clearly shows the mindset (kids on Wishing Trees wanted $300+ items). When 5-10 year olds or their parents for them are expecting other people to buy big dollar items for them, well, there is your answer.

Won't be long before the whole Emperor's New Money/Nanny State Society implode.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>

Except the health insurance, you still can. When I was young, we didn't have
McMansions, cable TV, computers, cell phones, SUVs, lots of eating out, and
all the other things people consider 'essential' today. My parent lived
through the Depression, and my mother is horrified at the way people live
today (that woman can really pinch a penny). She lives on a small pension,
and puts most of it into savings.

Today I live (with the exception of computer/internet) pretty much the same
way I grew up, and I live (with two teenagers) on less than $20,000/year. I
could live on farm income and a minimum wage job (if I could find one). Even
when I lived in the city, I lived very cheaply. It's expectations that have
changed...people think they are entitled to every luxury whether they can
afford it or not.