homestead - Re: [Homestead] out of the blue

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] out of the blue
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 21:22:37 -0800

Many long years ago I worked for a real a**hole! The stress level was tremendous and I ended up with this shooting pain in my jaw and up through my ear and screaming headaches. Went to the doc who sent me to a dentist. Had to get an o.k. from the insurance for halo x-rays. He got the results back and pronounced it TMJ. He started a sentence with oral surgeon and I said stop. Told the dentist that I don't do surgery (allergic to general anesthesia) and needed something to get rid of the pain that wasn't surgery or pills. I hate pills. So, he said fine. Quit your job. Stress is the main cause of TMJ. People grind their teeth or clinch their teeth and it throws everything out. He also asked if I chewed gum. He said quit chewing gum. Then he taught me how to hold my jaw in correct alignment. Haven't had a problem since.

So, I'm thinking that with all the health stuff going on you are probably doing a lot of jaw clinching. Generally, if you rotate your lower jaw forward (stick your chin out sort of ), being sure it is straight (use the mirror if you need to) and keep the tip of your tongue between your front teeth, you'll stop clinching your teeth and your jaw will gradually slide itself back where it belongs and you won't need to pop it.

Lynda, TMJ painfree for almost 20 years

snip
I have TMJ, but it rarely gives me
trouble. For the last 3 weeks, I haven't been able to chew well, and
I've lost about 10 pounds now. The last time it flared up was about 5
years ago, and that only lasted a day or two. I was taught, once, how
to put my jaw back, but I've forgotten the technique and that's not
something I want to try without someone to guide me on popping it back
right. I would love alternatives for things like TMJ...