homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hatching math and Day 22 update

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hatching math and Day 22 update
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 01:06:39 -0500

Thanks for checking..very good news...

Rob wrote:

25w x 24h= 600w/day
3w x 24h= 72w/day
672w/day x 22d= 14784w
15kw x $0.1 = $1.50

For the lights, on average...

100 watt bulb for first two weeks 24/7, then I swap to two fixtures each with 60 watt bulbs for the next 3 or 4 weeks(in the winter). On really cold nights, I will run both lights, but normally only one. If there are a lot of chicks, less light, so there are variables here, but for the sake of this calculation, I will say
60 watts for the next three weeks 24/7 plus an additional 60 watts for 12 hours a day for maybe 5 days for a total of 60 hours.
So, all of that is a total of
100 watts x 24 hours x 14 days = 33600 watts
60 x24x 21 = 30240
60 x 60 = 3600

33600 + 30240 + 3600 = 67440 watts = 67kw

67 x .10 = $6.70

Rounding off, it costs me under $10 to hatch a batch of chicks, whether I get 2 or 28.

From the first round of hatching, I have 19 living chicks. If I use the $10 per hatch estimate, which is overestimated, I get a chick cost of .53 cents per chick in electricity used to produce chick and raise it for 5 weeks under lights, if necessary.

This is the end of Day 22 and hatching, Round II
Unlike the first round, no eggs hatched on Day 20.
On day 21, I had 6 chicks in the box.
Now, at the end of Day 22 and the end of hatching, I have 14 fuzzy, seemingly healthy chicks in the box.
Of the 5 remaining eggs, two showed no signs of hatching, and one of those eggs was from G, and one was mine, collected on 11/20, meaning that it was 9 days old. Checking my records, it was the oldest egg, and of course, just didn't make it on that reason.
The other three chicks were lost in the hatching process. I had been misting the chicks every few hours to keep the humidity up to make hatching easier. This morning when I left to go to the birthday party, I had 4 eggs with beaks showing, some more than others. We were gone most of the day, however, and when I got home this evening, there was only one chick that had hatched of the 4 I left. A closer examination of the eggs showed me that the 3 chicks had died in the shell, never quite making it to the world. The loss of their life is really my fault, as I did not take measures to maintain the extra humidity needed while I was gone. You take the good with the bad, you learn.

So the end result for this hatching is 14 chicks of the 19 eggs...that is 74%. Of course, if you want to be more realistic, then since I started with 28 eggs, I only have a 50% rate. I'll take it either way.
Going back to my electricity costs to hatch and raise these chicks for the next/first 5 weeks, I invest 0.71 cents per chick.

Again, most day old chicks from hatcheries are around $2/ea, depending on breed, and that doesn't include having them shipped to you or the lights they, too, need for the first weeks.

It's all good.

And this time, I got a cute little chick I am calling Smokey...it is very smoky gray colored...unusual looking. It was one of G's eggs, meaning that I know the rooster was a blue laced red wyandotte, and maybe the mother was a barred rock, or maybe the female BLRW...it would be too cool for that to happen.

I'm not sure when I will start the next hatch. I will probably give this a break until January 1...get through Christmas and all..

Bev

--
The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men