homestead - Re: [Homestead] out of the blue

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] out of the blue
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 02:32:21 -0500

I agree with everything both you and James have said on this. It really
is about disciplining yourself, I think, to a better habit, and reducing
stress which induces all kinds of AI problems not just TMJ. Yeah, I
have some stress right now, so I while I don't normally grind my teeth,
I am a clincher. I don't chew gum, either. This is exactly the type of
thing that meditation is good for.
I think a lot of people want surgery, for some reason. I don't
understand it. I have had a lot of surgeries in my life, and while I
don't regret any of it, it is not something that I would look forward
to, maybe because I know what abdominal surgery is now, or how much of a
pain in the butt it is to wear a cast and not be able to walk or drive
and have to be reliant on someone else....grrr...I hate that.

Lynda wrote:
Many long years ago I worked for a real a**hole! The stress level
was tremendous and I ended up with this shooting pain in my jaw and
up through my ear and screaming headaches. Went to the doc who sent
me to a dentist. Had to get an o.k. from the insurance for halo
x-rays. He got the results back and pronounced it TMJ. He started a
sentence with oral surgeon and I said stop. Told the dentist that I
don't do surgery (allergic to general anesthesia) and needed
something to get rid of the pain that wasn't surgery or pills. I
hate pills. So, he said fine. Quit your job. Stress is the main
cause of TMJ. People grind their teeth or clinch their teeth and it
throws everything out. He also asked if I chewed gum. He said quit
chewing gum. Then he taught me how to hold my jaw in correct
alignment. Haven't had a problem since.

So, I'm thinking that with all the health stuff going on you are
probably doing a lot of jaw clinching. Generally, if you rotate your
lower jaw forward (stick your chin out sort of ), being sure it is
straight (use the mirror if you need to) and keep the tip of your
tongue between your front teeth, you'll stop clinching your teeth and
your jaw will gradually slide itself back where it belongs and you
won't need to pop it.

Lynda, TMJ painfree for almost 20 years

----- Original Message ----- From: "EarthNSky"
<erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
snip
I have TMJ, but it rarely gives me
trouble. For the last 3 weeks, I haven't been able to chew well,
and I've lost about 10 pounds now. The last time it flared up was
about 5 years ago, and that only lasted a day or two. I was
taught, once, how to put my jaw back, but I've forgotten the
technique and that's not something I want to try without someone to
guide me on popping it back right. I would love alternatives for
things like TMJ...