homestead - Re: [Homestead] out of the blue

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] out of the blue
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:01:19 -0500

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Bev; Have you thought of easing your way into 'alternatives'? Is there anyone in your area that practices Chinese medicine? Your case is very complicated, so I'm not sure that even I would play around without professional guidance. There are several natural herbal antibiotics, immune stimulants, blood/organ cleansers, etc. that, as
far as I know, have no harmful side effects. They work gradually, so
could possibly be used with Western medication, improving your health in the background, while the Western medicines keep you functional.

Calhoun is a huge SDA community. Their headquarters is here. Our local
hospital is SDA and all the stores around sell organic food. Many of
the docs in town are SDA and they have a more holistic view than most
MD's but still...the hospital in town doesn't have the best reputation.
I go to another hospital in Rome if I go. I don't specifically know of
anyone who practices even acupuncture, but I am sure there must be
someone local. My dermatologist is Chinese, but that doesn't
count...weird guy...hugs me like some nerd trying to cop a feel, but
he's harmless and a decent doc, so I keep him. He's the only doc I have
in Calhoun.
Since you mentioned it a week or so ago, I looked around in town but
haven't seen anyone who might qualify as "Chinese medicine", but there
are a lot of naturopaths. I consider myself an herbalist, so I am
definitely in the corner of naturopathy, but I must say that there is
just as much greed and self serving attitude in naturopathy as there is
in traditional medicines. Predators are everywhere.

One of the cheapest and most potent antibiotic/antivirals is garlic.As far as I know, there are no bad effects (except chasing away loved ones). When I feel something coming on, I eat 3 or 4 cloves raw (I chop them up fine and swallow them with honey). My book
(Herbal Antibiotics by Stephen Buhner) says that in severe cases, several bulbs (the whole plant) a day can be eated. You have to work up to it gradually, because it can cause stomach upset. I can't take it at night because it keeps me awake. The honey helps protect the stomach and is a natural antibiotic itself.

I've read that book, and I eat garlic almost every day. I take garlic
shooters when I feel something coming on....I mince the garlic and take
it with lemon juice and salt...sometimes I add crushed red pepper. It
works.
I have a book called the Green Pharmacy, and another that we bought for
Ron, Foods that Battle Cancer...both are pretty good at home remedies
and healthy eating.
I have been practicing 'alternatives' on my own for the past 20+ years.
You may recall that I got TJ off Ritalin with a heavy diet of flax
seeds, sardines, and other Omega fatty acid rich foods. I just have
never paid anyone to treat me.. I make my own eyewash, I use
tea tree oil, am now a big fan of Lynda's glycerin packs, I drink
wild-collected herbal teas...all kinds of things..Oscillococcinium...you
name it. I've been on this path for some years, and my previous
experience has made a believer of me that some things you can do at home
are better than what a doctor can provide.
The problem, Lynn, is that my husband does not share my beliefs.
Western medicine has never failed him, and he thinks alternatives are
too risky and work only because of chance use or the placebo effect.
I can't argue with him, because Western medicine has cured him of
cancer, you know?
We talked about this again last night, and he doesn't think it is safe
for me to stop taking meds...made me promise to discuss any alternatives
with him, which I do anyway because even though it is my ultimate
decision, he needs to know what is going on in case I make a bad
decision. Reasoning hasn't worked to convince him...he is too
entrenched. If the mind is closed, reasoning doesn't have a chance.
Even after I reminded him that a diet got the kid off Ritalin, he still
thinks that a diet is too risky for me. So, I have work to do, but I
think I can convince him. I did convince him to move me here. :)

Bev

--
The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men