homestead - Re: [Homestead] Best water-tite , air-tite container

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Best water-tite , air-tite container
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 20:49:24 -0800

Paint cans come, generally, in two types: a) tin lined steel and b) epoxy coated. High acid foods, high sulfar foods, neutral pH foods and certain other foods become discolored from contact with tin. And, obviously you don't want epoxy next to your food. Plus, they rust and you can't dry can in them. I suppose you can use the packets the LDS sell but then you could just as easily buy the food grade buckets from them and then seal them. That's what they are meant for and they are water tight. Or you can buy gallon jars and dry can and that kills two birds with one stone: a) they're sealed and b) you've killed any little buggies that might have taken up residence in your food supply.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bobf" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

I just read this letter from the new edition of Backwoods Home magazine. I really don't know if the author is correct,; but it does make sense. It is certainly not something I had considered as a multi-use container. ........................

Best water and air tight container to store food

I read your every issue from cover to cover. In your Nov/Dec 2008 issue "Ask Jackie" section she talks about storing food, but don't use ammo cans. Her answer was so-so to OK. The BEST water and air tight container is a 1-gallon paint can. These can be had at any bulk paint store; I buy them by the case and store food, etc. in them. They have lids that are water and air tight, and have a handle on each can; plus with a marker pen you can identify what's in each can. They can be opened and resealed many times; the lids are metal also. They don't break like glass jars.

Major E. A. Kelly (USAF, Ret.)
Twin Falls, Idaho

http://www.backwoodshome.com/current_issue.html