homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hatching math

  • From: "Karen L. Black" <karen AT plamondon.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hatching math
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 06:50:26 -0800

Are you sure the Hoverbator only draws 25 watts? That seems awfully low to
me. I think my cabinet incubators are on the order of 250W.

If you had a Kill-A-Watt meter, you could plug it in directly and find out,
but if you don't, you can calculate the power drawn by unplugging it once
the chicks are done hatching and measuring the resistance of the heating
coil. Power is voltage squared, divided by resistance, so if it is 25W, the
resistance of the coil ought to be around 484 ohms.

Karen Black
Norton Creek Farm
Blodgett, OR