homestead - Re: [Homestead] Preparation for WTSHTF questions

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Preparation for WTSHTF questions
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:36:38 -0800 (PST)

Ray, I just remembered I didin't mention the premise (first sentence) of your
post. Whe it comes to price, buy fewer of good guns and good ammo , than
more of the cheaper version of either.

I' will give specific brand names that I like for new and used. I will be
happy to answer follow-ups if you have any, because I this particular
purchase could make the differwence in causinf or preventing great bodily
harm.

Whe I say don't buy cheaper guns, I'm d*mn serious. Also don't buy reloads
unless you are an experienced reloader

Revolvers: If buying used Most of the older american made, will be fine.
Knowing the history of a specific gun is great, if possible. If not look for
the usual signs of wear. I prefer SS and have revolvers and pistrols that
asre SS and blued. Blued finishes show better indicators of wear, overall.
Look, it's easier just to say, buy a damn good condition ruger GP100 or GP101
SS. You could do damage throwing it at someone, and if you hit that at
which you aim, and are using hollow points, you will not need to hit your
target more than once.

S&W are great, but they cost more for equal condition. You just can't beat a
neweer or new Ruger revolver-for the money.

I would start looking for good deals on ammo for .38 and .357 , now, today.
You will be shocked if it has been a while since you bought ammo. 5oo rounds
for a blasted 22 can cost you almost $50 today, depending on where in Utah
you live (G-d help the poor Yankee folk that t*x and restrict ammo sales).
Even if you my something other than a .38, you can always trade/barter. .38
specail ammo is a goos basic ammo; like buying bricks of .22 ammo.

Go shoooting before you buy, everything. At least make sure she is going to
be confortable with a .357, it is not like shooting a 9mm.

Anyway..........