homestead - [Homestead] Raised beds in desert conditions

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Raised beds in desert conditions
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 07:33:15 -0700

On Dec 11, 2008, at 9:13 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

You know how James was talking about anticipating stuff? Well, I was
anticipating and preparing for a future without meds, a future should I
become disabled or in a wheelchair. I could still garden from a sitting
position. The distance between beds is about 38" at a minimum, handicap
accessible. That was the reason for the height of the beds, but the
reason for the beds themselves is that the soil here is rather rocky and
has worn out two tillers. Plus, I wanted control of the watering. If I
intensively plant in the beds, I can make the best use of the water I
have.

For desert gardeners for whom water is expensive, especially working with new beds of soil that is low in organic content, it must be noted that raised beds are likely to require more water. Raised beds usually percolate water more efficiently than native soil at ground level and therefore use more water to keep the root level moist. This rapid percolation can be alleviated by greatly increasing organic content but if organic materials must be purchased the cost may be onerous.