homestead - Re: [Homestead] Preparation for WTSHTF questions

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Preparation for WTSHTF questions
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:10:50 -0800 (PST)

This is just my opinion; and on this issue you could have many. I know you
already understand the 'firearms as tools' way of thinking and know that
different jobs need different tools. You seem to be strictly asking about
using your firearms for protection, so I will make a couple of suggestions.
Get a few phone books (big thick metro ones); a few big melons, apiece or two
of 3/4 " plywood. Take your .22s and a .357 and allow your wife to fire as
much as you fire. Use different ammo for each, use .38 ammo in the .357.
Use hollow points. If you can borrow a 9mm for the day , take one of those
for comparison. You need to see what firearm each of you are comfortable
shooting and also see the difference in the impact of that firearm (and the
different ammo) on the targets. There are large differences in comfort and
result.

Take a little .22 (short) semi-auto. For up close it might be a great
pistol for the wife , like shooting a toy and if you put all 6 in someone's
throat, you could even kill a man with one, but I wouldn't want to be
counting on it as family preotection,for that your .357 sounds smart, but can
she shoot that revolver? My wife will not shoot a gun. Period. Don't tell
me how to teach her; I have been shooting since before I was six, owned my
own shotgun when I was seven, and have never had a problem with firearms.
Her father ownerd firearms he would take to the desert (she went, too); but,
she will not hold or operate a firearm. Some people are just that way.
Hopefully, your wife will have a different reaction.

I have never been much of a rifle person. Most of the rifles I own are
older .22s, or o/u w/.22. I think every household that has a firearm should
have a shotgun, my preference is a 12 gauge pump (Winchester model 1200 is my
favorite).

Revolvers : I like good .357. Rugers are the best -- for the money--. But,
unless you are using .38 ammo, it might be a heavy gun for the wife. Why not
get a .38 and a .357 revolver; you could share the .38 (special) ammo between
the two. You can't do it backwards -- the magnum ammo will not shoot in the
38, it's too long, but the .38 special ammo will shoot in the .357.

I have no advice to give on rifles...............