homestead - Re: [Homestead] Preparation for WTSHTF questions

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Preparation for WTSHTF questions
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:13:13 -0500

You know how James was talking about anticipating stuff? Well, I was
anticipating and preparing for a future without meds, a future should I
become disabled or in a wheelchair. I could still garden from a sitting
position. The distance between beds is about 38" at a minimum, handicap
accessible. That was the reason for the height of the beds, but the
reason for the beds themselves is that the soil here is rather rocky and
has worn out two tillers. Plus, I wanted control of the watering. If I
intensively plant in the beds, I can make the best use of the water I
have. For the most part, I water the garden with rainwater, collected
from several roofs. The raised beds give me a place to practice
composting in place, which provides a little heat in the bed, which
allows for slightly earlier transplanting, which in turn defeats gets
things going ahead of the insects(esp. squash bugs), AND takes advantage
of the high population of mason bees in the area, which seem to be the
first bees in the Spring.

I live on 22 acres, mostly wooded.

http://www.myspace.com/tervetuloa13

Feel free to explore my pics of the farm and garden and whatever. My
life is pretty much an open book. I separated out some pictures of my
'monster' garden beds to show how I made them and the kind of stuff that
goes in them.

Bev

Cathy wrote:
Bev-

You've got an interesting-sounding setup. Sorry, but I've
forgotten--what size is your property---ish? Isn't it largely
wooded? Did you choose the tall bed arrangement for ease of working?

Thanks Cathy

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda