homestead - Re: [Homestead] Preparation for WTSHTF questions

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: cayadopi AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Preparation for WTSHTF questions
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 19:08:11 -0500

Leslie wrote:

Bev - In your raised beds,,,, is there any kind of chopping up being done of what is being thrown in, or just throw things in.

It depends on where it is going. In my box beds, no, I don't chop
anything up because part of the purpose is to provide air pockets and
take up space. Things compost in place, and I stir up the top layers
with a hand cultivator when I transplant stuff into the bed. Some of
the beds are thigh high. I put rocks in the bottom...serves multiple
purposes...adds drainage, takes up space, gives me something to do with
rocks I find in the garden soil, holds down the wire in the bottom of
the beds, etc. Then, I put the sticks and limbs in...just dead fall,
the stuff that I end up picking up after every storm. I have also put
sawdust, shopvac waste, you name it in this level...I think of it as
things that are long term composting stuff...brown stuff...stuff that
will take a while to decompose and pack down. Half the bed or more is
filled that way. Then, I put on the top, hay, grass clippings, kitchen
waste, egg shells, coffee grounds, dead mice<g>, leaves, chicken poop,
rabbit poop, etc. etc... Sometimes, if the bed is to be for direct
seeding instead of for transplanting, I will either put a thin layer of
finished compost on the top, OR I will put a thin layer of topsoil on
the top...just something fine to hold fine seeds like carrots or
radishes or lettuces.

Now, if the beds are full, and I don't need anything, I put the limbs
and stuff in my compost bin proper. Since that gets turned, I do break
up the limbs and stuff into smaller pieces, but I don't chip it or
anything. I could, but the chipper always seems to need carburetor
work and so I just don't worry about it. If I did chip it, it would
make it easier to turn and aerate as well as speed the production of
compost.

Bev
hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda