homestead - Re: [Homestead] Preparation for WTSHTF questions

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Preparation for WTSHTF questions
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 14:40:22 -0800 (PST)

Sand, and when after it rains for a while, the sand gets a hard crust on top,
almost cement like.  But when you add water, it is easy to dig it back up as
the water softens it quickly.  I'm currently working in manure.

I scavanged an old food crate from a packing house, about  4' x 4' x 4-5'
high.  I'm thinking I might be able to compost in that if I shorten the sides
a bit.  There are some air strips on the sides between the boards.  And there
are a lot more of them for the taking.  I was hoping I could use the wood
sides to make a chicken coop, but I really don't think so.

I just came back from a neighbor and need to run back over there.  On my way
back home, I spotted plastic covers that I suspected was a veggie garden.
Yep, and the sell their organic produce, and still have produce growing.  The
lady told me to come back in a little while and talk to her husband, since it
is his project.  They had chickens and guineas there too - great little
burglar alarms they are... LOL - what a racket !  I did ask her about the
plastic, she said they use them for frost.  It wasn't clear, but opaque.
They are growing quite a bit, and I hope he'll share some tips.