homestead - Re: [Homestead] Preparation for WTSHTF questions

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Preparation for WTSHTF questions
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 14:27:46 -0500

PLOW
I'm currently using a gas engined rotor tiller, which I know is >not sustainable in worst case scenario, but it was a b-day gift >from dad.

I know nothing about desert gardening; what kind of soil do you have? When I start a new garden bed here, I rototill for the first couple of years. I have heavy clay, and tilling in tons of organic matter makes the beds workable faster. In a sandy soil, a tiller isn't necessary at all...you can incorporate organic matter by hand.

After tilling for a couple of years, I double dig and incorporate more organic matter at least 2 shovels deep. I know, people say that the worms will do that for me, but I can't wait that long. After double digging, I continue to add organic matter as mulch or cover crop, and use a broadfork to loosen the soil, a la Elliot Coleman. Once you've double dug a bed, it's easy to work and very productive.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA