homestead - Re: [Homestead] deer hunting

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] deer hunting
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:57:08 -0500

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 5:33 PM, sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net> wrote:

> Needs to be large enough to hold 4 quart jars, lidded, and still clamp
> closed, and to have either an adjustable or movable weight or a gauge.

Mine (and my friend's) held 7 quart jars at a shot, we did three batches. We
put about 1.5" of water in the bottom, after the jars were added the water
came up about half way on the jars.

We cut into chunks partially thawed deer steak and roasts (fat cut off or
most), we filled each jar 3/4 full with meat. Then added boiling water to
the lowest ridge ring around the jar which is 1" from the top. [You could
add a boullion cube to the water or salt and pepper, but we wanted our meat
to be multi-purpose. I'll use some for stew, some for soup and some for
stroganoff.]

Put on sterlized lid (jar should have also be sterilized, should have
mentioned but you all know this) and ring. We had each pressure canner water
brought to a boil then put in the jars. Sealed the pressure canner and let
cook for 15 minutes before we put on the gauge for 10# of pressure. When it
got up to 10# (clearly marked on the dial gauge), we let it cook for 30
minutes. After 30 minutes we let it come back down to no pressure then took
out the jars.

My friend has pressure canned deer meat for years using this method and no
one has died, not to mention they've enjoyed countless delicious meals.

Lisa