homestead - Re: [Homestead] deer hunting

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] deer hunting
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:33:05 -0500

bob ford wrote:
I just went & looked at my pressure cooker that lynda was ridiculing the other day. I don't know if
it is a canner ; it says "mirro matic" & "16"
the cardboard thing on the top just says pressure cooker, not pressure canner, but the d*mn thing is so big, it almost certainly coukld be used for either, I think? I don't think it was ever used. It still has the other paper and cardboard stuff on the inside; the rubber gasket feels like new; and it still has the wire tray thing you would life jars or meats or something out with. I think it is a 16 quart?? That is probably what the "16" means.
Probably so.
Is that big enough for pressure canning?. I think I paid $10 for it , 8 or
none years ago an old dead person's (actually the dead probably all consider
themselves the same age, being dead) estate sale. .........
Needs to be large enough to hold 4 quart jars, lidded, and still clamp closed, and to have either an adjustable or movable weight or a gauge.

Probably you have a round, wheel-shaped weight that says 5/10/15 with that one (depends on its age, but that seems likely)? If so, and if it will hold the 4 quart jars, you can use it as a pressure canner, as well as a pressure cooker, and it will fall within the USDA recommendations. The reason for the size limitation is that any size less than that cools off too rapidly to hold food at the proper temp for the proper period of time.

Does it have a manual with it? If not, there are several around on the net for the downloading. Then you'll know where you stand, and actually, some of the recipes in the Mirro manuals are pretty decent....

SJ