homestead - Re: [Homestead] deer hunting

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] deer hunting
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:42:11 -0500

I was just chatting with my grandma the other day and she was
reminiscing on how she used to can deer with her mother. This would
have been in the late 1920s or the 1930s. My mother canned beef when
we butchered. She never owned a pressure canner. She also canned
anything else that would fit in the jar.

I wonder if the government has scared us about what happens when
people to it wrong or if we are smarter to pressure can? I usually
pressure can also, but I do it on an electric stove. If I was using a
wood stove, I'd rather use a water bath.

Rob - Va