homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed shortages

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed shortages
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 15:17:50 -0500

The wind has been blowing real hard here for a couple of days now. That is a problem for plants here, blows the moisture right out of them. I'm stunned that my little onions and garlic are still coming up as there have been a number of nights now with >freezes and frost.

When do you start a garden in your area? Does it get too hot for a summer garden? I know that Bob had problems with it being too hot for tomatoes to set fruit. There are a lot of greens that like mild winters, like it seems you have...you could probably grow collards, kale, and many of the Chinese greens all winter. Maybe lettuce, if your winters are mild enough.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA