homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed shortages

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed shortages
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:35:23 -0800 (PST)

Onions are put in the ground 1st week of November here.  The huge onion
fields around here are looking mighty pretty.  Mine are coming up a bit
slower, but coming up non-the-less, both indoors and out.  I've read that in
this area of NM if too cold the tops can brown, but they come right back in
the spring... we'll see.... I have some outside, some started inside in pots
and have reserved much of the seed to plant early spring.  We rarely get
snow, and from what I've seen my few visits here, it seems to evaporate...
LOL.

This is not only my first year here, but '09 will be my first attempt ever at
getting a decent sized garden planted, so much I do not know yet.

I stopped by the organic neighbors' today.  They are elderly, and were both
ill with the flu today.  I saw that the man is working on erecting a small
shade house that looks like he could use some help with, so maybe some
neighborly volunteering seems to be in order in exchange for some local
gardening tips.  He's still got quite a bit of stuff growing, still can't
quite see exactly what.