homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed shortages

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed shortages
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 10:54:30 -0800 (PST)

I DID buy two diferent Brandywines for my first tomato attempt here.  :-)
One looks greenish red & ugly.... the other more deeper orangie red.

I don't recall the Mortgage Lifter name.

I also got 2 different Hubbarrd Squashes, something I've never even heard of
before, hoping i like them.

If I don't manage to kill off most of the crops this year, I might have to
become a vegetarian.. LOL.

The wind has been blowing real hard here for a couple of days now.  That is a
problem for plants here, blows the moisture right out of them.  I'm stunned
that my little onions and garlic are still coming up as there have been a
number of nights now with freezes and frost.

I was living w/ my daughter for a short time a couple of years ago and
planted some yellow squash and zucchini in her flower beds (which upset her
at first).  I moved before they finished growing out... she told me they were
delicious though.  I wish I could fast forward to eating a crop of things I
actually grew myself.... Now if nature will just cooperate....

I do intend to can up a fair amount of the tomatoes.

:-)