homestead - Re: [Homestead] Excellent NYT editorial

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Excellent NYT editorial
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:11:15 -0800

We still have *real* dairies like your grandparents up here in No. California. Hundreds of acres of green pasture, some irrigated, some not but still 100s of acres of it for the cows to roam through.

We're talking the old type farms. I know Camozzi's is 615 acres (Petaluma) and St. Anthony's (Two Rock) is 339 acres, Stornetta's (Pt. Arena) is 550 acres.

The average dairy looks like this in Humboldt County http://photovalet.com/9793

So, if you want milk from real cows at real dairies and you can't raise it yourself, I recommend Humboldt Cremery or Clover-Stornetta.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Leslie" <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>

Having been on my grandparent's dairy farm as a kid - where the cows were turn out and rotated thru various tracts of land during the day,,,, I was shocked, I mean drop dead shocked when I saw how dairy cows are treated here in NM. I now wonder if this is what dairy farms have become all over the country.

There are literally hundreds of cows enclosed in a hot sunny, manure filled pens, with a central metal roof. The pen is fenced around the permiter with the "things" the cows put their heads thru to eat food. The workers spread alfalfa all around the perimeter, and the cows eat whenever they want. Then they lay in piles of manure chewing their cud. The smell can be smelled a mile away.

And there are pens after pens after pens,,,, The largest that I have seen so far is along I-10 between Las Cruces, NM and El Paso, TX

No wonder they need antibiotics! The cows were filthy. I'm sure they must go thru some kind of a shower before milking but what a waste of water in the desert. On top of truly horrible conditions for those cows.

Maybe the NYT needs photos of where milk comes from....