homestead - Re: [Homestead] Boarding schools, was Who attacked whom?

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Boarding schools, was Who attacked whom?
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 14:46:14 -0800 (PST)

Lynda, I doubt my friend would like being called an "apple". but, by that
definition, other than on this subject, you are as 'white' as all of the rest
of us (that is not a perjorative, coming from me).

My friend was proud to be Cherokee. Maybe as a middle aged man , he is more
like you are now, I don't know. Just a normal Southern boy growing up; I see
nothing wrong with that. His daddy could be a mean SOB (He pulled me over
for speeding once -- he didn't ticket me but chewed me out).

By the wasy, they have had big reunions at the Indian School here. Indian
School Road is one of the major roads in Phioenix. Indians come from all
over the country for the reunions at the school. They seem to be proud of
attending the school. It is a park, now. But, when I moved here, it was
still a school. We also have a major Indian Hospital, where you must be an
Indian to be seen. I don't really know how it wqorks, I've never been there.

I have a famous artist friend, last name Yazzi, so you know he is Navajo
(D'Naia - sp?). He served a couple of tours in the Marines. very well
educated and hangs out with the hipster artists, because he is an artist. He
certainly wouldn't like to be called an apple.

I live in Phoenix, for goodness sakes, I have known, mostly casually, a lot
of Indians. You know that Barry Goldwater had more influence in this state
than any one man and he was a great friend of the Indians all of his life.
I've also been to more than one rez, they can be rough. They have not only
poverty , but gangs and drugs just like the city.. I don't think you should
generalize about all Indians. They have very different experiences just like
all other peoples.

What makes you so much different than me, as far as "red" and "white".
Except for this issue, I agree with you on as many things, and approach life
from a simiar angle to you as anyone else on this list and most of us, as far
as I know, are white as apple pie ;-) ..........bobford