homestead - Re: [Homestead] Geography was: Tell me again why Republicans are good for people

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Geography was: Tell me again why Republicans are good for people
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 12:46:34 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:
On Dec 4, 2008, at 7:22 AM, <eureka AT hctc.net> <eureka AT hctc.net> wrote:

I'd be curious to know where all of you think Texas falls.

Southwest. With northeastern fringes of South and Midwest.

I think Texas is South. It is in the western part of the South, but not
Southwest. Are you saying it is Southwest because of the land-the
dryness, the desert? It is a different terrain, yes, but the people who
live there are more like the people who live in Atlanta than the people
who live in Phoenix, and in fact, I believe that Houston is Atlanta's
sister city. I don't see your Midwest connections at all. To me, it is
as South as it's neighbor LA. I would even say that part of Oklahoma is
in the South.
I know that those of who live in southern Missouri like to dissociate
yourselves with the rest of the South, but I've been there a few times,
from Branson to Springfield to Ava to West Plains to Joplin to New
Madrid and other places, and I would say that southern Missouri is
definitely 'The South'. In parts more north, up around the midstate,
from the STL suburbs to Columbia, KC and that area---, I'd call that
more midwestern, like central Ill or Iowa.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda