homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tell me again why Republicans are good for people

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tell me again why Republicans are good for people
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 01:36:06 -0500

Marie McHarry wrote:
The only place in the US where Republicans are still running the show
is the South.

I wouldn't call it running the show, nor would I say that Republicans
are rooted here. If you look at the red/blue maps, I see more red than
blue...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_states_and_blue_states
McCain won GA, 52 to 47%, which isn't much of a stomping.

However, it's not a healthy place to live (speaking statistics only here):

I think that same story has run for the past 30 years or so...lol..the
only difference is that GA, SC, AL, MS, LA, TX, AR, WV, KY, and TN seem
to alternate on the bottom spot, whether the ranking is health,
education, crime, etc. We are so used to it that it is almost a joke.
I've always thought these studies were bogus anyway...Healthy _places_
rankings should be based on the environment...for example, instead of
looking at levels of obesity or smoking, which is something that the
individual has control over, why aren't they looking at levels of radon
or smog or pollution...the silent killers that will kill hundreds of
thousands long term. It's ok these days to poke fun at fat people and
smokers and Southerners, and by golly, to combine it all into one story,
way to go MSNBC.. ;)

Twenty nine most polluted regions in the US
http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/09/07/the-25-most-polluted-regions-in-the-united-states.htm

Pittsburg and LA most polluted cities:
http://www.citymayors.com/environment/polluted_uscities.html

When it comes to obesity and the individual, you often find that the
poorest people are the most obese. Good food is expensive, and it is
easier to feed the kids with a box of Mac and Cheese and a can of tuna
than it is to buy vegetables. If they really cared about the people
they are slamming with their article, they need to perhaps help the
people of Louisiana and Mississippi recover economically. Maybe Obama
will help these citizens get healthcare, jobs, and grocery stores that
have a decent selection of food within an hour's drive...It has been
over 3 years since Katrina, and not much has changed since the day after
it hit.

And what do Republicans fear more than most other things?

Libertarians. <g>

Bev, trying to catch up after a long, long day

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda