homestead - Re: [Homestead] It's almost over

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It's almost over
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 15:44:33 -0500

Would the gov't peddling war (recruiters, ROTC) at your child's high school or college campus influence their agency? I don't know, it just seems like a good analogy. I tend to think when a person is "of age" they can make independent choices, but modern society has so 'babied' their young, I wish voting age started at 25, and drivers, marriage, and birthing, licenes >came right after.....................

I'm not sure I understand the concept of Agency. If it means 'freedom of choice', I don't think anything short of force should overly influence it. In your example, I see the ROTC peddling war as offering another choice for young people. I'm not a 'blow up the recruiting office' type; I don't like war, but I understand that there are people who will wage it, no matter what. I believe that everyone should examine ALL the choices and make an informed decision. Of course there are people who can be persuaded into anything, but I see that as a 'personal' problem. Part of the freedom to choose is to have the strength to make the right choice for yourself, despite what everyone else is selling you.

Lynn Wigglesworth