homestead - Re: [Homestead] wooden bowls for biscuits

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] wooden bowls for biscuits
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 00:06:37 -0500

Robert Walton wrote:
I like this thread. Good biscuits are important.

Well considering what the economy is shaping up to be like, we might
need to freshen up on our baking skills...I do at least. :) Biscuits and
cornbread stretch meals and it's a cheap eat.

Do they sell Southern Biscuit flour (that's the brand) where you
live? It is a good flour. I don't use self rising.

Yes. It is a common brand here, too.
I have been trying find and perfect recipes using both types of flour.
I currently stock more AP than SR, but sometimes all I can find in a 50
pound bag is SR, so I want good recipes and techniques for both types.
That applies to biscuits and cornbread for me.
BTW, my dressing using the cornbread and biscuits was a big success. I
decided not to make my normal sausage dressing this year. The family
seemed to jump ship and even told me they preferred the cornbread
dressing I made today over the usual sausage dressing. So that was good.

I have two jars of goat milk from this evenings milking sitting out
to culture. I use cultured milk in place of buttermilk, you can start
the culture with cheese culture or store bought buttermilk. Makes a
better product than what is bought in the store.

That is essentially what I do. I used to do it with the goat milk, and
now I do it with cows milk. With a good brand of cultured buttermilk
and the right temps, the result is better, IMO, than the cultured milk
you start with.

IMO, you cannot make good biscuits without lard. I have no qualms
over eating lard from the hogs I raise.

I need to find some lard. I'm wondering if the processor saves it to
sell? Some people only use/save the 'leaf' lard, though.

Like James said, you want everything including your bowl and utensils
cold. Cold fat makes flaky biscuits.

Until just now, I never thought about putting the fork on ice. The
cabinet where I store my bowls is always cold, so no worries there.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda
http://www.myspace.com/tervetuloa13