homestead - Re: [Homestead] wooden bowls for biscuits

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] wooden bowls for biscuits
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:13:00 EST

> >Of course, I have no idea how real buttermilk is
> made...presumably its some kind of liquid that's poured
> off in the churning of butter? Or is it just soured milk?

Someone has probably already answered this, but:

The stuff passed off in the stores now of days is fake buttermilk. It is
skim milk that is thickened with carrageenan gum and acidified with citric
acid
to mimic buttermilk.

Real buttermilk is what's left over after you churn the butter out of cream.
It is left at room temperature to sour naturally from the bacteria in it.

James