homestead - Re: [Homestead] wooden bowls for biscuits

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] wooden bowls for biscuits
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:02:50 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
The first part I knew. The second I did not. I have been
thinking it
is like other bread in that the ingredients need to be room temp,
so I have like been pouring up the buttermilk first. Cold, cold
cold...thanks.

The colder the biscuit when it goes into the over, the flakier it
will be. Same is true of pie crusts.

When you say 'pouring up the buttermilk first', you don't mean add it
to the flour??

No no, just measuring up ingredients...I will measure the buttermilk
first and leave it on the counter while I measure the rest of the stuff.
Not good.
I do keep my shortening in the fridge, too. I usually measure out all
ingredients first, then combine. What I need to do is just put cold
stuff back in the fridge until the moment I use it.
No, I know to add the buttermilk last and stir just until mixed.

Add the fat first and keep it as cold as possible. Lard is best,
butter is good, shortening works as long as you don't mind dying of a
heart attack or stroke.

Butter is better than shortening? I assume you don't mean margarine,
but butter?

When the COLD fat is rice sized or smaller, then add the buttermilk a
little at a time until it is all stuck together. Then stop.

Rice sized. ok.

By the way, when I say lard is best, I don't mean the kind you buy in
the grocery store. It has been hydrogenated to preserve it and is
almost as bad as shortening.

I know what you meant, I just don't have that. I have grocery store
lard, Crisco stick shortening(both regular and butter flavor), salted
butter, and margarine. I've been using regular Crisco.

I will be making another batch of biscuits here in a little bit, so any other tips you can give me will be appreciated.
My biggest problem is texture. I seem to do better if I don't roll anything out, but instead pat it out and then cut the biscuits.
For catheads, do you just add a bit more buttermilk to make a stickier dough and then drop biscuits onto the sheet?

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda
http://www.myspace.com/tervetuloa13