homestead - Re: [Homestead] wooden bowls for biscuits

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] wooden bowls for biscuits
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 11:51:14 EST

> >The first part I knew. The second I did not. I have been thinking it
> is like other bread in that the ingredients need to be room temp, so I
> have like been pouring up the buttermilk first. Cold, cold cold...thanks.

The colder the biscuit when it goes into the over, the flakier it will be.
Same is true of pie crusts.

When you say 'pouring up the buttermilk first', you don't mean add it to the
flour??

Add the fat first and keep it as cold as possible. Lard is best, butter is
good, shortening works as long as you don't mind dying of a heart attack or
stroke.

When the COLD fat is rice sized or smaller, then add the buttermilk a little
at a time until it is all stuck together. Then stop.

By the way, when I say lard is best, I don't mean the kind you buy in the
grocery store. It has been hydrogenated to preserve it and is almost as bad
as
shortening.

James